Monday, June 11, 2007

The week of June 11-17 (Sharing/Love/Friendship)

These are going to be my main focus points this week. I will continue to work on Loveyah's Bear ghan, and also be making a starter for some Amish Friendship bread. These will fit nicely into the theme for this week. Sharing/Love and Friendship.

The link again for the bear ghan is

http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/bearghan.html

Here is my recipe for the starter bread and the instructions...

Ingredients for Starter:
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup cup milk
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar

Procedure to make Starter:
Note: DO NOT use metal bowls or spoons and DO NOT refrigerate. Dissolve yeast in small amount of warm water. Mix all ingredients together in an ample sized bowl or jar (it WILL grow). This is Day 1 of the starter.
Day 1: The day you receive the starter - Do nothing.
Day 2, 3, 4: Stir with wooden spoon.
Day 5: Add 1 cup each - flour, sugar, milk. Stir.
Day 6, 7, 8: Stir with wooden spoon.
Day 9: Do nothing.
Day 10: Add 1 cup each - flour, sugar, milk. Stir. Pour into 3 containers (1 cup each). Give 2 containers to friends along with this recipe. Keep 1 cup for yourself.

Note:
When giving starter away, only half fill the container and provide for some ventilation (ie. small hole in top of jar). The starter does expand and unless the gases caused by the fermenting process are allowed to escape, they will build up and could cause the lid of the container to pop off. Store the remaining starter in a container in the refrigerator and begin the 10 day process over again when ready. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.

I will share the recipe for How to prepare the bread from the starter (and a variation) in my blog tomorrow.

Loveyah's bear ghan head is almost done. I think I may have to block it...it seems a bit twirly to me, but we'll see how it finishes up. The eyes, nose and muzzle are ready to be placed.

My thanks to all of the ladies in the groups in which I belong! They have such interesting projects and great attitudes! My favorite groups so far are:

http://groups.msn.com/MMCrochetCorner

and

http://groups.msn.com/CrochetMamas

Stop by if you get the chance. The links are also on my blog-roll.

Have a wonderful week!

No comments: